This morning I joined the Run for Terence event at KLCC park. I estimated about 30 runnners/triathletes turned up. There was no specific distance, time and nor were there any medals to win. We were just there to show our support for Terence@Penguin-6. At 8.00 am we started to run. I ran at easy pace for a mere 3 laps as my right knee has been sore over the past one week (not a good sign for KLIM - hopefully it will be better next week). We signed a get well card and contributed a small amount of money for Terence.
After dispersing at about 9.15 am and while I was having breakfast with Fitri, Tank and another guy, a FEDEX rep. called me and told me the tax I have to pay have increased from RM482 to....... RM800!. This is almost 30% of the value of items ex. USA. She had faxed the tax forms to the office but I told her I could only see the forms on Monday. Even without seeing the form, I knew that every item had a levy of 20% import duty and 5-10% sales tax. This was too much!.
I am dissapointed that the customs clearance company (Udara Express Courier Services) have not made a serious attempt to classify the items so as to minimise the taxes. I had to do the job myself. So this afternoon, I sat down and went through the Malaysian Harmonised System (HS) code and classified the items .
For example, the winter running jacket I bought can be either classified as a jacket (30% combined import duty & sales tax) or as "Men's or boys' overcoats, car coats, capes, cloaks, anoraks (including ski jackets), wind cheaters, wind jackets and similar articles, knitted or crocheted, other than those of heading 61.03." The latter classification has 0% import tax and 10% sales tax.
I have finished the classification and will send it to FEDEX on Monday. Hopefully customs will accept my classification and I will pay less tax on the items.
2 comments:
that's a ridiculous sum of tax to pay. crazy!
30% for garments? that's ludicrous. and that dude, damn lazy. u have to backcharge him for doing his work
Post a Comment