Another report abut my food (mis)adventures here in Ashgabat.
Tuesday evening saw me and a colleague walking towards the only Chinese restaurant in Ashgabat. I ordered egg and vegetable fried rice and stir fried cabbage, carrots and green beans. We asked for takeaway and got a blank look from the waitress. After making a few hand gestures, we made our request understood; Take away equivalent here is packet.
I was hoping to have a good tasty dinner. Alas my hopes were dashed when I had the first take of the fried rice back in hotel room. The fried rice was very bland and utterly tasteless. For reinforcement, I added the stir fried vegetable fried in soya sauce. The flavour improved a bit and I was able to eat about six spoonfuls. But after a while I gave up and discarded both dishes into the trash can. I think this was the first time I have come across a Chinese restaurat anywhere that serves awful food. The price was USD 4.
Next day (Wednesday), I had dinner at a fancier restaurant at Yimpas. Yimpas is the only shopping centre cum supermarket. On the 3rd floor, there is some restaurant and a bowling alley. I ordered fish cooked in soup and rice. Besides a huge chunk of fish, there were two slices of tomato covered in cheese and sliced potatoes. The fish was quite hard and tasteless. I forked bits of the fish and ate them with the small amount of rice. I finished off the smal slices potatoes and tomato. I left 90% of the fish untouched as it quite inedible.
On Thursday it was a public holiday - Day of Constitution. I skipped lunch and was quite hungry by 6.00pm. I went to hotel Italian restaurant and ordered tomato soup and seafood pasta. The tomato soup was OK . The seafood pasta tasted slightly bitter and the spaghetti was a bit hard because they have not been fully cooked. Neverthess due to hunger I managed to eat half of it.
The price = USD 12 including 2 glasses of orange juice.
Todaay is Friday. Tonight's dinner will be Magii mee curry;a welcomed respite from the awful food I've eaten over the past 4 days.
1 comment:
reading abt it also turns my appetite off already! i'm sure you're looking fwd to be back. btw, your trip to these backwaters are business or leisure?
Post a Comment